Monday, March 2, 2015

The Story in Which Watson Grows a Regal Chin... and Then Loses It.



I had nothing planned for this weekend. Just crashing indoors as it rained outside (and it was 36. Blah). It was all dreary and very WNY like. Watson had different plans. Watson felt the need to make a quiet, full-of-doing-nothing weekend a full-expensive-stressful weekend. Silly kitty. It all started Thursday night….

I was on the couch with Watson and he was being extra friendly and was enjoying all of the petting. I was rubbing the side of his face (in the kitty sweet spot) and I felt a small lump of fur and tried to smooth it down. He pulled away, swatted me and jumped down. I didn’t think anything of it. Friday morning he came when my alarm went off and cuddled with me. That hadn’t happened in awhile. He always came when my alarm went off… but it was usually to play. Again I didn’t think anything of it. Just thought it was sweet. Saturday morning I woke up and his face looked funny. I thought I was crazy because his jaw looked a lot whiter than it normally did. I looked at it and it was a little swollen. I was concerned but decided to watch it. In the afternoon it was still ballooning. I was worried and went out to get Benadryl. When I got back he was just lying there and not really moving. Jared had looked up a vet and I decided that I needed to call. (look at those pictures up there... What a fat chin!)

After a very friendly receptionist (insert sarcasm) informed me that she doesn’t diagnose over the phone (not what I was asking) Watson took a trip to the vet. While I was holding him in the room, waiting for the doc to come in, I noticed how HOT Watson was. He was really really warm. He was walking around the room, but not leaping and sprinting uncontrollably like he usually does. He HATED getting his temp taken.. but I cant really blame him. The Vet had the thermometer up his butt FOREVER. Im pretty sure that every animal in the waiting room heard him screeching/hissing and were scared what was going to happen to them when it was their turn!

Long story short… Watson was very sick. His temp was 105.6, White Blood Cells were 35.1 (the norm is 18.5), and the bad cells were at 31.9 (norm is 13). His little chin was shaved (which went much better than the temp taking) and was taken in the back to have his face drained. Jared and I went home to wait for him to be done (and to eat dinner. Look what I made! Im doing well, so far, on eating like a grown up! It is Shrimp and Asparagus in a Lemon Sauce)
 

Watson ended up being pushed back and I picked him up the next morning. The vet said that Watson got aggressive and wouldn’t let them sedate him. Im kinda proud of him and jealous. Everytime someone comes at me with a needle I would love to make a scene! Well Watson at least didn’t go without a fight. They had to gas him. Apparently he freaked out at that too and started to bang into the sides of his cage… so badly that he made his mouth bleed. After saying this the vet just shrugged and said “So nothing too traumatic”…. UMMMM really?!? I just tried really hard to not let me jaw drop and hang open. THAT SOUNDS TRAMATIC TO ME!!! Poor Kitty.
(I think this picture is HILARIOUS!!! It was RIGHT after Watson got meds and that just sums up how we both felt) 
The vet said that Watson had looked regal with his balloon chin and I have got to say... she was completely right! He had a Brad Pitt alure to him. Very defined chin. The fact that it was full of blood and pus perhaps lessens the "sexiness" of it, but there was a girl kitty around she definately would have looked at him twice with that face structure.

Watson did get soft food out of the deal. He needed to eat before I force fed meds and the vet suggested soft food as an enticement. (I would like to add that he got his salmon nastiness all over the vecro part of his cone and I cant get it out. So he smells like stale salmon. Its gross.) Then he got pills forced down his throat. It was pretty traumatic because I can pop his jaw, but I cant hold it together because that means putting pressure on his hurt little chin and he starts WHIMPERING. Its so sad. I think I finally got the system down this morning. Although he did spit it out and it fell down the side of his head and got matted in his fur. Got it on the second try though!

(Being moody. He looks so angry on the left and just plain old pouty on the right!)

He hates his cone (he has it on for 2 whole weeks!) He keeps running into things and when he comes up to rub against me, he just bashes the cone into my leg, meows pathetically and looks at me with sad eyes.  I bend down to scratch his ear every time. He is so cuddly too. He just lays in my arms/lap. I tried to put him down this morning and he didn’t put his legs out. Just plopped on the bed and laid there. Poor kitty isn’t himself.

In other news….

Its March 1st! (well now is March 2nd) and I didn’t even care. I didn’t even look forward to it. The weather has been so nice and mild (compared to the last 25 winters of my life) that I no longer look forward to spring. It’s sad.  This weekend is the “worst” that it has been. Wet, “cold” and grey. There aren’t any seasons here.

My name is apparently “Ana” down here. Whenever I say my name at a restaurant, or someone calls me name for some reason… Anna becomes Ana.  My German/Russian/English (I looked it up) name has become a Spanish one. Thanks Texas!

That’s it for this post! Watson took the post over and I haven’t done anything else blog post worthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment