Thursday, April 2, 2015

A New Nephew, Smoke Detectors, and A Year


The trip to meet Dominic was so fun! I didn’t want to come back home! He is so SO fun to snuggle with. I can’t believe that humans come that small. Seeing Katie and Adam was awesome as well! (Of course!). Honestly the trip needs its own post! But in summary… I have the cutest little nephew ever, I didn’t want to come back, and I am nowhere near close to where I left of in terms of being able to play soccer. (I missed a goal. Me + the goalie + 5 mins = shot off the post. I would have made my girls do up-downs for missing a goal like that. ARGH) Oh I went to see the Easter bunny for the first time ever. Apparently mom didn’t love me enough to take me J I have never been to an Easter egg hunt either. Obviously the second child is just not loved as much as the oldest. Being back in Reality just plain old stinks. I would like to go back on vacation.
 

Oh I learned three things on my flights to and from Virginia.

1.       Apparently there is a special hat box/container made for cowboy hats. The guy across the asile from me had one and put his Stetson in it. Texans never cease to amaze me.

2.       I cant understand Indian accents. The friendly guy sitting next to me on the way home had to repeat everything. I seriously think I have a hearing problem sometimes.

3.       It is official. I am going to throat punch the next person who asks me what Im going to do with my degree. Consider yourself warned. I can do anything I want to. And Im getting tired of being polite when you ask me that.

This morning was rough. I went to bed exhausted. I don’t remember lying down. I remember setting my alarm and yelling to Watson that it was time for bed, and the next thing I know I am being jolted awake by the smoke alarm blaring. I had no idea what was going on. It was one of those moments that your body just goes on auto pilot and you find yourself stumbling through the house blindly. My eyes were all crusty and bleary. My cat was freaking out and walking in circles around my feet… and that really wasn’t helping anything. I had no idea what was shrieking at me, I was just trying to find the source and make it shut up. I finally figured out that it was the smoke alarm in the hallway. The ceilings are TALL and I just stood in the hall angry at the white, round, obnoxious contraption hanging 16 feet over my head. I think I just stood there and stared straight up my problem. How was I going to scale the wardrobe to hit that “thing” as hard as I could? That’s when I started grumbling to Watson about the situation. I am pretty sure that he agreed as his tail was a least 5 times are big as normal, and his fur was all poofy. I decided against climbing wooden structures that may or may not support my weight and I trudged to the kitchen, dragging my feet partly because I was too tired to pick them up properly, and partly because Watson was really annoyingly close to them.

I dragged out the step stool, grabbed the broom, and stomped back to the hall. After almost losing the battle with the step ladder (they are tricky things to open!), I hit the button with the broom handle to stop the incessant beeping. (I probably hit the button a little harder than needed). It was then that I realized that the white, obnoxious contraption hanging 16 feet above me tends to go off in emergency situations that involve flames and smoke. Yes it took me that long to think about a fire. Pathetic isn’t it? By this point I was awake, so I checked the house for flames and smoke. All was well. I explained the what happened to Watson (don’t judge me!) and told him that we could have died. Not because I didn’t wake up from the alarm, but because my first instincts were to figure out how to shut the thing up so I could go back to sleep.. not to flee the premises. I think undergrad has skewed my opinion of fire alarms. Roomie always had to convince me to get out of bed in college. Stupid drunk people.  So now I associate fire alarms with false alarms. That’s good.

 I lugged the step ladder and broom back to the closet and then…. The noise started again. By this point my tired, still-not-awake self was pretty sure the house was burning down. Convinced actually. I hurried back into the dining room and realized that the noise was different…. and not coming from the hall. What?? I walked around the dining room and finally realized what direction it was coming from. I head towards the source and realized it was my alarm clock. Time to get up and go to work. ARGH. No. WHY?!? I flopped face down onto the bed. It was probably pretty comical because my bed is high. Pretty sure my feet were still on the floor when I face planted into the quilt. I just stood/laid there in a right angle while Watson meowed and rubbed against my legs. I cant even begin to describe how badly I wanted to crawl back into bed and yank the covers over my head. Is it Friday yet??

Oh the green stuff has started to fall off of the trees down here. That means I can’t keep the pool clean and my car is green:

 


I was hoping that it would blow off on the highway… nope. After a week of having Lucy look disgusting I am starting to accept the fact that I need to bring her through a carwash.

This weekend is my 1 year anniversary with Texas. I am not sure how I feel about that. 1 year anniversary of taking my leap… the one that I was convinced was a leap of death. (Not as deadly as the leap of death that occurred in freshman year of college in a dorm room. Attempting to Leap from a bed to the top of a bunk at the opposite side of the room is not a smart idea. Mike at least tied a pillow around his waist to save his hip bone. Me on the other hand… had a black hip for weeks. I tried to find the video and couldn’t. I did see the videos that I have on my facebook page and that is just scary… Anyways…) I can’t believe that it has been an entire year. The 12 months has FLOWN by. Im almost 26!?!?! I’m in the second half of my 20’s?!?! Oh dear.

Nothing else is really new. I am looking forward to Rome. And “looking forward” is a vast understatement. It is getting me through the next 2 weeks and making the transition back to reality seem a little more bearable. I’ll try to be better at blogging!
 
What  I want to be doing right now (reading The Little Engine that Could!)

1 comment:

  1. I love your blogs! I am sorry that I laugh at your expense, but I do (but only because you are ok)! Sounds like an interesting week back from VA. We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete