Thursday, June 11, 2015

Not Quite as Crazy


This post won’t be as crazy… promise.

Life in San Antonio has been uneventful for the most part. I continue to do dumb and embarrassing things. One day I kicked my shoe down the hall while talking to the boss of my department and stubbed my toe in the process. That was awkward. So was spilling water on a really nice guy at the water/coffee station. He was so sweet about it. Thankfully it was just his sleeve. But that is a bad way to introduce yourself to someone. “Oh hi. Im Anna, the girl that just spilled water on your cute dress shirt sleeve. So nice to meet you.”

Watson is getting calmer and cuddlier which is SO nice. He is still a terror at times. A few weeks ago he got on the living room table and was pawing at my Lego Mini Cooper. I told him no, and he turned, looked at me, and proceeded to give the car one big push over the edge. The car turned into a bunch of single Legos strewn across the floor. So… he tests my patience sometimes. But I love that we have a little routine in the morning and at night. He is a good buddy to have and a great side kick. His 1st birthday is coming up on June. 30th!

So Im not scared of the house anymore. Im officially ok living in houses alone! Woo! Only took me 26 years. I don’t even think about it anymore. Watson and I just do our thing. I know what all of the noises are now so Im calm, cool and collected. I still don’t go down the hallway or upstairs at night… unless I really have to. So maybe Im a little scared…? But not really!

This is the longest that I have been away from “home”. A year, 2 months and 6 days. Obviously I have been home since then (Sept. and then Christmas). Once I hit August it will be the longest stretch that I haven’t been back to WNY. (I went home for Christmas from London and then came home for 2 years in August). I love summer on the lake. (Not that I ever had much free time in the summer with working 16 hours days at CHQ) I miss having a lake. I think I get “homesick” for home at the start of every summer. It happened in London and its happening now. (It didn’t happen last summer… I was still ecstatic to not be in WNY) I miss wings still. That hasn’t changed. And Johnnys, Wegmans, and driving on a two way street. I still hate HATE driving here.

I was picked to be a buddy. Every new person gets paired with a “veteran” on their first day at orientation and the buddy eats lunch with them and then picks them up after orientation to help them through everything. If you know me… you are already laughing. Yes, buddies have to eat lunch one on one with each other. Im so good at talking to strangers. Especially small talk. It’s like a first date, complete with eating. (why do first dates involve food? It’s bad enough that you have to talk through them… why do you have to eat too.) Thankfully my buddy is really nice. She is my age (a couple years younger) but she will be cool to work with I think. I pick her up this afternoon to start training her, so we shall how awkward I will be! J

Im really really good at coping with change. (Again if you know me…. That’s complete sarcasm) I didn’t sleep before 9th grade because my locker was going to be in a different hallway. PLEASE. It’s Panama. College was even worst, and London… well that change didn’t start off so well. (http://www.london-christies.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-stressful-start.html ) Im only ok with change when the excitement and adventure outweighs the bad (Rome, London, Texas). Im oddly ok moving far, far away but changes in my everyday staus quo… not so much. One is coming and it’s actually going to be hard to get used to.

Im seat sharing at work. (I know some of you are now asking... really?? That’s it?!?) Yes, that’s it. I am going to be in the office 2 days a week. Some of you are still lost. Here are the challenges:

1.       I have to really push myself to get out of the house now. I can’t be a hermit, no matter how much I want to be

2.       I need to keep showering J

3.       I have to share my cube. I really think I missed that lesson in school. Im not a good sharer. I have to clear out half of my decorations. Very sad.

4.       Loss of visibility, and being a part of the office.

Obviously there are some pluses:

1.       Using less gas

2.       Crystal and I are on the same schedule. So everytime I am in the office, I get to see her

3.       Watson will love me

4.       I won’t be SO angry at traffic everyday J

5.       I can sleep in more, and gain some time from not commuting

6.       Im going to start running in the morning

You are all wondering if you read #6 correctly… I know you are. But I’m going to try it. I HATE running… and I HATE running at night. I have stuff to do, and I hate that I have to wait to run. It keeps coming back to what Laurie said… “Its hot as hell in Texas”. Yes it is as hot as Dante described in the 7th Circle reserved for murders and violent crazies. I have to wait until at least 8 to run. By 8 I want to be curling up with Watson and reading, or finish something I started… not going for a run. So 6am wake up call for a 6:15 run it is. You are wondering how long this will last. (so am I honestly) I am bribing myself with cute workout clothes J $2 for every day I run. A girl needs cute clothes ;)

I LOVE to sleep… which is weird because as I child I hated it. (seriously… children never know how good they have it do they? Go to bed at 7pm, get up at 7am… that’s the life). I made my favorite babysitter CHASE me through the living, kitchen, dining room and back to the living room over, and over again. (The rooms made a loop). I remember sitting on the couch, dreading the moment that Home Improvement was going to be over because that meant bedtime. Well now as a quasi adult I LOVE sleep so when its disrupted I am not a happy camper.

The alarm when haywire last night. Well technically it was this morning… 3am. I was dreaming about an alarm and woke up to it going off. Remember a few paragraphs ago?? When I said “Im not scared of the house anymore”…. Well… waking up at 3am all bleary eyed and disoriented and the alarm is blaring my first thought is “INTRUDER!!!!!”. I would like to point out that it probably took me 5 mins to 1. Hear the alarm. 2. Realize what it was. 3. Jump to the INTRUDER conclusion. Basically if there is ever a real intruder I am in serious trouble. (along with fires… see an earlier post for that debacle)

3am and the alarm is going off. I push buttons in with my groggy brain while mumbling some not very nice words. Im sure Watson was amused. I get it shut up, make sure it’s not set and saunter back to bed. 5:12… it happens again. I get it to stop. 5:21 it goes off again. Yes… it went off every 9 mins from 5:12 on. It was so so fun. Watson thought so too. He completely panicked every single time. Poor thing.

OK that’s it for now. Completely out of boring things to tell you J

 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment