Friday, July 17, 2015

Stiches be Gone! And Other News


So…. I have a feeling that more of you are reading this then I think. (I have proof to back that statement up) It’s a little scary! Maybe it is just the posts that something crazy/dumb/gross happens to me? (Tonsilloliths, large insects, or stitches) Apparently bodily injury, nasty growths and oversized creey crawlies make for an interesting read? Glad my discomfort is so entertaining J I did some research actually… In my Rome blog guess what post was most read? My Epic Fail of a trip to Stromboli (if case you didn’t read it… I didn’t make it to the ONE place on this earth that I want to see the most). My most read London post?? The Dragon Lady. (Unlike the Stromboli trip that I am still a prickly about… the Dragon Lady experience is now funny. Although I re-read that post this morning and still felt the stress.) Do you all see a theme??

If you are all really bored and want to go down memory lane with me and laugh at my discomfort please see the below material.

A younger Anna attempting to make a mecca… and failing while squished between 5 very large Sicilians:
http://acorar19rome2010.blogspot.com/2010/03/e-p-i-c-fail.html

One of the posts in which everyone meets the Dragon Lady
http://www.london-christies.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-stressful-start.html

OK now on to the point of this post… the stitches being torn out of my flesh. I wouldn’t choose to spend my free time getting tiny threads ripped out of me, but it really wasn’t bad. The worst part was being the clinic celebrity. I walk in to a mercifully empty waiting room. Basically the entire staff is the same as last Wednesday, which was fun and slightly embarrassing at the same time. I had checked in online so I wouldn’t have to wait 1.5 hours so they all know that someone was coming to get stitches out. I get greeted with a “Hey! We all thought it was you!” Oh goodness…

They bring me back to the trauma room… the same one and get me all set up. This time I snapped a pic to be able to look back fondly on my trauma room experience. The girl was the one I like (NOT the one that called me sweetie) We kinda joked around some and she said that Doc Reynolds was coming right in. I couldn’t remember the crazy one who sewed me up, but I was preparing myself considering that everyone else was the same. I didn’t know if I could handle an antique conversation with her again.

 
Dr. Reynolds walks in and she is the nicest, coolest person. WHY didn’t I get HER to stitch me up. She was so funny. She was asking me how on earth I got a cut there and making fun of me, when she stops, looks at me and says “you are worried about this aren’t you? I can read your face like a book”. GRRR this is not the first time I have heard that. Apparently I can’t keep my face neutral, which is frustrating because I don’t like people to know what I am thinking. I am ok with people I know being able to tell I guess… but I had known her for 45 secs. I can’t seem to hide anything… so I confess that Im a little nervous.

She sits down with her scissors, puts on her gloves, picks up the tweezers, looks at my cut and says “Wow. You are SOOO white” *insert pause* “you are definitely going to need to put scar cream on this”. Ummmm… ok….. thanks? And then she starts… snipping the first stitch… I wince… she pulls… I feel nothing. Ooooo this isn’t going to be bad at all!!! It was so painless and fun/gross to watch. She asked me how it was getting them put in with that big shot. I informed her I almost died… and she didn’t blame me. At least I wasn’t a complete wimp. It made me feel better. That was it though… 5 min ordeal that wasn’t even an ordeal! Phew! I am officially stitch free but I will have a scar to remember that bunny by…
 
 
I did brave the great outdoors during lunch on Wednesday. I ran a quick mile on my run. (well not that quick) and did some sprints. It is sad that I didn’t go anywhere near the stretch with the rocks? I did ease back into running like this:

 
I hate treadmill running though. If I want to run, I would like to actually go somewhere!

Greeting Cards. I hate picking them out. It doesn’t matter what occasion it is for… they are all awful. Im not that mushy… so the message is either WAY to personal/mushy/lovey dovey or really really stupid. Last night I was buying my anti-scar cream (overpriced by the way. Kinda wanted to just have a cool scar) and remembered that I needed a baby card. I peruse the aisle and meander around the ladies who are standing in the middle of the skinny row of cards, reading intensely and not realizing that no one can get around them. All I ever want is a cute card with a normal saying that isn’t $10.99. Is that really too hard to ask?!?!? Apparently it is. Who writes these things?? I found the CUTEST card with little animals and baby clothes on it. “Ohhh this is so cute” I thought. I open the card, praying that the message is ok. I find the below words inscribed:

A brand new baby is
coming your way!!!
Happy Shower

Seriously???? That’s it? Does Papyrus think that the mom-to-be has no idea that they are having a baby? Why state the completely obvious? I literally made a growling noise, huffed and shoved the card back into the rack. All those ladies who were oblivious to the fact that I was attempting to walk around them, all looked up at me. The others were all way to mushy… all stuff about the life changing love. Why can’t any of them say something along the lines of “can’t wait to meet baby” or “Good luck with what I hear is the most painful experience of your life” or even “Yay a baby! Here is some cute mini clothes”? (ok maybe not the second one…) Why can’t a card company write things that normal people would actually say? Just a wild and crazy idea that would make my card shopping less painful. (to make card shopping fun I open every Hoops & Yoyo card that I don’t remember reading before. 1. They are loud 2. They are hilarious and make me happy 3. Everyone stares at you when you play them 4. Did I mention they are hilarious??

I saw this floating around social media today.

 


Isn’t that terrifying??! Or is it just me. One decision and EVERYTHING could change. I think that is why I am such a bad decision maker, because unlike everyone else who thinks this is amazing, I can’t breathe when I read it. What am I changing if I do this, or what happens if I do that?


In other news:
1.       I purchased a new water bottle. I know… really living life on the edge
2.       My hair all fits in a ponytail now. I can’t describe how happy this makes me.
3.       I would like to learn how to play the bagpipes. If anyone knows anyone who has some and wants to teach crazy person to play… please let me know. (preferably for free btw!)
4.       Not sure I’ll write much until post-San Fran. My life isn’t usually exciting enough for so many posts back to back. San Fran will certainly give me something to write about. I cant wait to see the really big red trees!!! Always have wanted to!
5.       I got a Save the Date for my first ever class reunion… HWS 5th. Glup! I do miss my college buddies. I miss college in general actually. No adult choices. Not much responsibility. And if you forgot to plan dinner, you just had to walk across campus. Funny how you don’t realize that you are living the dream until you aren’t. (there are probably some rose tinted glasses on at this moment… but still. College was awesome)
Oh random angry moment… have any of you heard of the Nuba Mountains? If you haven’t watch this 10 min video and read the article:
So when the western world said “Never Again” after the Holocaust… did they just mean European/1st world genocides? Just curious because it seems like there are a few events going on in the world that are classifiable as a genocide. And how is Omar al-Bashir still the president? And it is great that world powers make these eloquent speeches about how horrible genocide is…. And nothing happens. I understand there are politics, but at the same time I say screw the politics. Humans with the power to stop or even aid other humans shouldn't let things like these to happen. Elie Wiesel says it perfectly:
“We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must - at that moment - become the center of the universe.”
I am back to not wanting to go back to school. Im in the “need to change the world” mode at the moment. I don’t think a PhD is big enough. I need to figure out something bigger and better. Although Dr. Rusch does sound pretty good. (I guess I would be Dr. Rusch the 2nd)
Ok that’s all I have!




No comments:

Post a Comment