Friday, September 4, 2015

Pitfalls of a Small Town Education


I am trying to use my brain more, and be more aware of the world in which I live, so I bought Time Magazine at the airport for the trip home, complete with Donald Trump’s face plastered on the cover. I learned a lot about what is currently going on in this world! That led me to thinking about how I became so ignorant in the realm of the world. I think it has something to do with my small town America High School education, which brings me to a rant:
If you know me, you know how I feel about PCS. I always get told that I didn't appreciate high school and I need to be grateful about my small town childhood. Yes there are things that I LOVE about going to a small school, but that doesn't mean I received the best education.

Do students these days even learn about current events? I didn’t when I was in school. And I don’t mean having to submit a one paged “report” on a current event topic every other Friday (that was the only exposure that I had to the happenings of the world when I was in high school, and that was only when I was a senior). Those homework assignments were a joke. I would do them the period before in the computer lab during study hall. I wouldn’t even read the article, knowing that I didn’t need to in order to get an A. My strength is reading, and being able to skim something to pick out a few key points. I just beefed that up a little and handed it in after 15 minutes of “work” with no clue what I just read, or the implication of the event had on the world. The problem was… I didn’t have to have an opinion on what I read. I just had to “prove” that I read it (which is very easy to get around apparently). So perhaps… that is a little on me. But not having to have an opinion, allowed me to get away with not knowing the facts.

I remember having “debates” in government class, but that still doesn’t count for me. I don’t think I was aware of the world until I went to college. Is that the same for everyone? Or is it another fail in my splotchy high school education? When we were “told” about an event, it was just that. We were informed about it. I wasn’t ever asked to form my own thoughts. I was taught to regurgitate what I was being told. Walking into a college classroom for the first time completely blew me away. Wait… they just told me something, and now they want my opinion?!?! I don’t understand… they are the teacher. Aren’t we just supposed to tell them what they had previously told us?

The thought of having a discussion in a class was foreign to me. I was seated in a room with students who had been to elite (and average) private schools. They had been ingrained with the notion that you talk in class, and support your opinions with facts. For two years, my “social studies” education involved me walking into the classroom, and staring at 2 white boards. These boards were filled with writing, and I mean filled. Then, we would spend 30 minutes copying down the notes from the board. For the last ten minutes of the 40 minute class, our teacher would then read everything to us and provide a couple more sentences of insight. Then we would all file out of the room with a hand cramp and 1 page of freshly written notes.

I think that those points above are the big things that frustrate me the most about my small town, small school education. The lack of knowledge/care about the broader world. The closed mind mentality of “We are in America. Speak English. Why do I need to learn Spanish?” (That is probably my number one pet peeve by the way. I can’t debate the topic rationally, or politely for that matter.) The sheltered, unrealistic environment of conservative, all white people who all know everything about everyone. Then in school, we were never exposed to the problems, thinking and culture of other people.

We need to be raising a generation that understands the global community that they are a part of, and the relationship that every part of the world has with each other. I know I am a bias ex-student of a high school that I do not think very highly of, and understand that America’s education on a whole is not reflected in a tiny Western NY school. I also understand that teachers get a bad rap from the ones like the social studies teacher that I described above. Not every teacher is like that, and I am sure that he is in the minority. It is just incredibly frustrating to think about what the current students at Panama are not learning. That upon graduation, they are not necessarily open-minded young adults who are able to think for themselves. Instead, if things are the same as when I left, they are walking out of the doors as sheltered, un-inspired young adults who are not used to questioning teachers, forming their own opinions, have no idea how to think critically, and are in no way a global citizen.

I have been going back and forth about being a teacher since I was a freshman in college. I took an education course and hated it. In June I went to an info session at UTSA about being a teacher, and never followed though, deciding for the 15th time that I didn’t want to do it. Teachers are so important. My 5th grade teacher was the reason I fell in love with history. My 2nd grade teacher taught me how to have a backbone, and dust myself off after making a mistake. My first grade teacher made me love to read even more. My Adv. Bio teacher made me love a subject that I previously hadn’t cared for at all. My 11th grade English teacher taught me how to find the meanings in the words beyond what the story was telling me.

But it is the bad ones that frustrate me. It is that group of teachers that make me want to be teachers. The ones that didn’t teach us. The good ones inspired me, the bad ones made me lose interest in school. The English teacher that made us read quietly to ourselves while she shopped online. The Honor’s English class that our teacher had us making videos “I Am” instead of reading, and then being mad when no one wanted to take the AP test. The science teacher that had us watch “Voyage of the Mimi” everyday. These teachers and classes left gaping holes in my education.

We had an Economics teacher for half of a year who told us to “Always Question Authority”. Back then I didn’t really get it. Oh I said what I thought, but didn’t question my teachers. As a senior I had a long distance learning calc class. This means that hte teacher is remote, along with the other half of the class. The group at Panama wasn’t learning. We couldn’t hear over the other kids scratching the mics, and the teacher wasn’t getting the information across to us. So we brought it up with the administration and were completely ignored. It was our fault that we weren’t learning. So we kinda rebelled (which didn’t help our cause) and we all ended the year not knowing calc and having a crappy grade. (I remember we were sent to the library to wait for class to start because it was on a different schedule that Panama, and we were too unruly to be left alone. That wasn’t true until they made us go to the library. We made a chain with a big paper ball on the end and shuffled to and from the library as a chain gang. A teacher even helped us out and stored it in her room for us. The admin hated us… the honors kids who decided to call them out on their crap in a very passive aggressive way!)

There would be no way in hell that I would send my kids to Panama. Yes, it was nice being in a small school as you knew everyone. But from a strictly educational stand-point… nope. Wouldn’t happen. I remember I wrote a short letter to the local paper entitled “Panama Still Has a Long Way to Go” as a senior in high school. (I need to find that article) Everyone in the community was mad at me because I started a controversy… I critiqued Panama and said exactly what I thought. The school board brings in kids after the first year of college to hear what the students have to say about how they felt they were prepared for college. I wasnt asked. :) Neither was my other friend who felt like she was unprepared as well. They ask students who they know are going to say nice things. They didn’t want to hear the truth. I wasn’t prepared for college. I know college is a big step, and perhaps no one is really prepared. BUT I could have been a lot more ready. I remember the first day of English class in college… I was frantically scribbling g notes and lost on what the teacher was asking me to do, and the kids around me were sleeping in boredom. One asked “don’t you remember this crap from high school”? No… I was never taught it. (Also it was really hard to conjugate sentences in my Latin class, when I never learned how to do it in English”.

So what am I getting to in this? No, every teacher isn’t bad, but there surely are some out there. I know that Education is a hot topic in NYS, and the crap with the Common Core and teaching to a test. There has to be a better way to do things. There has to be a better way of FAIRLY evaluating teachers. And why is there tenure? If I am not good at my job, I get fired. The good teachers shouldn’t be punished in the evaluation process, and they shouldn’t have to teach to tests. I don’t know what the answer is, but small town American school scare me. Perhaps it’s time to start a Charter School?

No comments:

Post a Comment