Friday, July 18, 2014

Thunder, Princesses, and Nostalgia


“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” ― C.S. Lewis

Today’s quote doesn’t even need explanation. It’s just so true . Except if said book is Johnny Tremaine. Goodness that book is horrible!

Ok Im a little over everything being Bigger in Texas. There was a thunderstorm last night. When I say that I mean a biggest, loudest thunderstorm I have ever lived through. The house literally shook with each thunder clap. I tried to count the time between the lightning and thunder and I couldn’t. It was so intense. I was ok with it… until the power went out. Im all alone in a big spooky house, in the middle of blinding thunderstorm, in complete dark. Not cool. The dogs were so good. They didn’t whine or bark at all. The power was still off when I got up at 6:30 so that was an interesting experience. I got dressed/ready in complete darkness. I had the flashlight on my phone, but couldn’t find a real flashlight. I should probably inquire where they live at some point. The storm woke me at midnight, but I fell right back to sleep until 1:30 and when the power went out at 2 I was wide awake until 3. Not ok with not being able to see except from lightning flashes. I need my nightlight in the hallway to stay illuminated thank you very much.

I have been missing NY a little this past week. On Saturday I was lucky and had a good hour and a half phone call from one of my favorite people. Man it made me miss home. (I cant believe Im saying that either) Then this week I have had my pod on shuffle at work and man do I have HORRIBLE stuff on that thing. I promised myself that I was going to go through and delete the crap ones. Then Saving Jane came on… and I instantly thought of Alex and how much he hated her music. EVERY day on the way to school he complained. Without fail. And Erin, Kirsten and I would play it over and over. Which lead me to thinking about driving him to school everyday and almost killing him with a snowplow but every time (or that my car would fall apart and kill us) he brought it up and told me I was a horrible I reminded him that without me he would have died riding with Peter. Im not sure I can get rid of these bad songs. They instantly bring me back.

Speaking of missing home… Ashville Days (or more appropriately “Day”) are on Saturday. Im not going to miss the parade, or the bedraces, or the garage sales, but the FIREWORKS. They are the best.  There sure are some characters that show up to watch, but it is so fun. July 4th fireworks were decent at Lakewood, but the Ashville Days ones were the BEST. Sigh

OK I have made an executive decision. More people where cowboy hats and boots in good ole WNY then the Texans in Texas wear. Granted I am in a city down here, but there are so many people who wear them at home. And no one wears them in SA. (San Antonio). Its disappointing… and just shows how country WNY is! The place I come from sure is…. Special.

Last night was my second night off in a row… and I was LAZY. I watched two Disney movies while I was working on other things. (yeah I’m not sure why I picked Disney. I wanted to watch Harry Potter but it was on Blu-ray and the Playstation is broken at the moment)  It was actually pretty interesting. Take Cinderella for instance (first movie chosen). All of the decorations are pretty Rococo. Are they in France? Is it the 1800’s?? Their clothes are pretty good for that era, and so is the furniture etc. I didn’t really have any problems with Cinderella… she is a little dumb and way to willing to clean stuff, but all in all it was ok. Oh besides that the fact that Prince Charming says two things in the entire movie and she is in “love”. He asks her name and how he will find her again. That’s it… Come on Cinderella. One dance and two questions isn’t enough to marry the guy. Just saying.

Sleeping Beauty was my FAVORITE Disney movie and Phillip was my favorite Prince. (he at least talks and has a cool red riding cape thing)The part I never caught before is that Phillip’s dad says that it is the 14th century. So its 1300’s?? Definitely hadn’t ever picked up on that before! That kinda explains why everyone is way ok with Sleeping Beauty being in love at 16. She is a little dumb too, and her feet at way to small. But I guess she is still my favorite, and Snow White is still the dumbest.

No comments:

Post a Comment