Friday, August 28, 2015

Dismaland, -$285 and Guns


I really want to go to Dismaland. If you haven’t heard of it, you need to do some googling! It is an art installation in Britain by Banksy… who I LOVE. He is an anonymous graffiti artist with a sometimes dark humor, strong political statements and great satire. I also am a fan because of this:

 
Dismaland is a poke at Disneyland but it’s more than that. Damien Hirst even is one of the artists, along with dozens of others. I love art that makes a statement. I am not a fan of modern of contemporary art. Argh. Seriously… I don’t know how painting two colored squares next to each other makes a statement. But, a fan of Damien and Banksy because they use contemporary art to make statements on society. I love that moment that you are staring at something incoherent and then all of a sudden, everything is illuminated. You are literally floored when you understand the point of what is going. I still remember a moment, when I was abroad in Rome and we were all staring at this piece of abstract nonsense. But then… Professor Mathews said something and all of the sudden it was like a ton of bricks hitting me smack in the face. I suddenly got it. That is what art is supposed to do.

So… you know the last post? The one that I floated around on a raft in a pool, reflecting on a life well lived? Well…. I have red hair. And it is August. In Texas. In case you haven’t connected the dots, my stomach and chest are tomato red…. And a hideous contrast to the blinding white skin next door. 

I am the only person on my facebook that didn’t get married, pop out offspring, or go back to school. Not that I am complaining!!! Not at all! I forgot to feed Watson twice last week… so I do NOT need offspring! Just a tad crazy how many new humans exist, and weddings happened last weekend!

I LOVE getting mail. Seriously love it. Especially in the day of email, messaging and texting. I love stationary, and cute envelopes and… getting mail that doenst require me to pay someone money. With that being said… I got some mail on Monday. Woo. Addressed to me and everything! I open it and… it’s a bill from the Med Clinic. That rabbit cost me $285. That is WITH good insurance. SO I lost my dignity, blood, and $285 while gaining a bright red stripe on my leg. All thanks to a rabbit.

I made ravioli last night. ARGH. My people make beer, sausages and do good things with green cabbage, not make handmade pasta. (Ok if you know me, you know that the other half of my people pickle fish and makes pannaukkau… and let’s just say if it ends with the sound “ca ca”, it doesn’t taste good. Or have a taste at all for that matter) Anyways… I made ravioli and my arms are sore right now. It was SO much work. They taste good! I couldn’t get the pasta “paper thin” by hand (Next time I am making them, Im not doing it without a pasta roller)so they were a tad gummy. But overall, a success. Just not worth the effort. Or the pile of dishes.
 

I am in LOVE with Darling magazine. I feel like “magazine” isn’t the right word. “Journal” or “Publication” maybe is better. It so different from all of the dumb magazines out there like "How to Get Him to Like You" and "15 Ways to Have Perfect Beach Hair". I am only halfway through and I am hooked. The one article was so on point… It was about how in college, one is judged on potential and upon graduation you are judged upon your job and what you “do”. I hate the “what do you do” question… because no matter what you answer it seems like you are being somewhat judged. “Once you’ve given the appropriate answer, comparison follows. Your response-this “doing” that you claim- is mentally held up to be observed from each angle, to see if it’s in line with the expectations of your age, degree, social standing, and relationship status”  I feel like that is such a true statement. That isn't the only reason that I hate that question, but it sure is part of it. The other part is that I know that I am not living up to my potential. Grrr :) The article was all about how what you "do" isn't a complete reflection of who you are. I liked it!
 
I am not a big fan of the "fighting" sports. Never have been. As of yesterday, however, I am a big fan of a certain fighter... Justin Wren. Check out his story:
I stumbled across this yesterday and thought it was funny. Basically agree to all of them:

Another shooting this week. Something needs to be done about the gun problem that we have in this country. While I don’t have an answer, I am lost as to why there hasn’t been a serious discussion about them. Yes the NRA is crazy and unfortunately has a ton of power, but that doesn’t mean that politicians shouldn’t be having a serious conversation. I know that gun bans won’t work. I know what Prohibition did to organized crime and the fact that people still got alcohol (and in fact unsafe, unregulated alcohol that caused more problems). When books get banned, it seems to circulate even more. Banning guns isn’t the answer, but we are the only 1st world country with this problem. Look at the stats.


Detroit’s gun homicide rate is almost equal to El SALADOR. Altanta is higher than SOUTH AFRICA. Buffalo is higher than PANAMA’s. Even Austin TX beats out CAMBODIA.

Why is that? Why is our gun culture so incredibly crazy? I remember talking with a Brit when I was abroad and he just looked at me and said “I just don’t get the American obsession with guns”. I don’t either. Yes, people hunt with them and shoot them for a hobby. But WHY do civilian need high powered, automatic weapons. If you tell me “protection” Im going to scream.

See… living in Texas has opened my eyes to a very scary thing. People who believe that the government is out to get them and take them over. Everyone would “lose their freedom” and guns are required so when they are bunkered down in their homes, defending their family from a government takeover, they can resist. I am not kidding.

I understand that people like guns. It’s a hobby for them. I understand that people hunt with them. I understand that people kill people, not guns. I get all of those points. Something has to change though. Instead of screaming that the government is taking away everyone’s personal freedom at the first mention of guns, we all need to be having a serious talk about a solution. Our country having the highest rate of gun homicides was NOT the founding father’s intention. Our constitution was drafted in 1787. 228 years ago… when only white men could vote, African Americans were viewed as 3/4th a person and slavery was legal. There have been 27 amendments to our constitution, so I don’t even buy the “its in the constitution so it’s our God Given Right to bear arms”. Two points on that… men wrote the Constitution and honestly… even the freedom of speech has its limits. Long story short… there is not a good excuse to talk about a solution to our gun problem. I don’t have the answers to what it is, but not doing anything certainly isn’t helping.

On a completely separate note… I am so excited for Christmas. Can. Not. Wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment