Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Wedgwood, Appliances and Not Really Coping Well


“Drink with me… To days gone by. To the life that used to be.”

-Les Miserables

OK so apparently I have hit that point in life…. The point where one is excited about small kitchen appliances. I got a new blender. Yes, I am excited about a blender. Is that sad? I am trying to make smoothies. I even pinned a bunch of recipes one Pinterest. I hate eating when I get up in the morning. I hate breakfast and eating so quickly after rolling out of bed, so I am trying to drink my breakfast. My favorite so far…. Raspberrys/Peaches with Almond Milk and a dash of Vanilla. It’s like ice cream but healthier… and for breakfast. So in. Ill try to get up early enough on office days to make one before I have to leave. The blender also came with a food processor so I am excited to make salsa with veggies and such. Really.. its sad how excited I am. I am going to need mom’s asparagus soup recipe. I LOVE that stuff. Looks like liquid snot, but tastes AMAZING. Mom… expect a phone call. Or maybe just email me? :) The purchase of the blender is a little sad though…. If/when I ever get married I officially only need a vacuum cleaner and a Kitchen Aid mixer. Seriously. I have EIGHTEEN sets of Fiestaware, every kitchen gadget ever, and a coffee maker…. I have everything. I could use some Wedgwood China…. Wedgwood & Bentley Anthemion Blue please.


Or the Renaissance


In other random news... I would like a Vespa please. I am currently taking donations J

Ok so I wrote that part up there this weekend, and it is now Monday so there are some updates. I tried the food processor yesterday to make salsa… I am officially in love with a kitchen appliance. I didn’t have to chop anything (well basically. I had to roughly cube the veggies to make them fit into the processor) and it looks like salsa instead of large chunks of veggies that I had to hand chop. Its not that I cant cut veggies… it’s just that I hate doing it. It reminds me of my worst job that I have ever had… Bellinger Hall food prep. The job itself wouldn’t have been bad, if my co-workers would have been slight human and not complete monsters. Anywho…. I love food processors.
                                                                                      Salsa!

I was at Macys this weekend, wandering around trying to find a cute maxi dress or something for the Cruise theme work party that I had. Well I got frustrated pretty quickly and decided to meander to my FAVORITE department…. The dishes. I found the Fiestaware section and drooled over the new Slate color. It is such a great color to use to POP a bright color. I hated it online… love it in real life. I still am not a huge fan of the sage, just because I don’t know what color you put it with. Anyways… after spending a ton of time touching everything in that section and walking away empty handed (please be proud) I headed to the china section…

I love china. It’s so pretty. I was standing in front of the big back wall that displays all of the sets and was deep in thought about the Kate Spade Lenox line (thinking it was everyday china… but who uses china everyday, especially the girl who has 18 sets of Fiestaware shoved under the guest bed in NY) and this guy slides up next to me and says “Would you like to start a registry?”. I start laughing and before I knew what I was saying, I blurt out “Well… if you had Wedgwood maybe we could discuss that”. He just stands there staring at me for a minute and then… very loudly proclaims… “GGGGUUUUURRRRRLLLLLL you got tasssssttttteeeeee.” To which I confidently respond… “I know… just can’t afford it”. We then had an in depth discussion on the Wedgwood patterns. (see above for my 2 favorites) If you don’t really know me, you are missing some key information.

1.       I have a master’s degree in decorative arts and the ceramic lectures were like Christmas

a.       I don’t say that lightly…. I am a huge fan of Christmas and to this day I can’t sleep on Christmas Eve. Pretty sure my sister still has a pretty scary voicemail proving that fact

2.       I love Wedgwood. Jasperware is the best… but their china. Stellar. I went to their factory when I was in England. It was the highlight of my year (that didn’t include the Olympics/Diamond Jubilee) The trip was a little touch and go thanks to the buses… but I made it there and back!

3.       It’s my life goal to own some Serves. LIFE GOAL…. So I have pretty high standards. (Yes, I am aware that it is French. It’s a fact I just need to overlook)

4.       A Chippendale china cabinet is the only “brand” that Serves and Wedgwood can sit in so… that’s a problem. (google it if you have no idea what Im talking about)

5.       I have always had champagne taste on a tap water budget.

Anyways… the guy that works at Macys was pretty cool and it was a fun/random conversation. I am getting better at talking to randos apparently. I guess that’s good?

In a recent post, I was talking about how long it has been since I have been home and how this stretch of time is a record. Well… guess who has a flight home for 8/29! I will still break the record, but just barely! I can’t wait to eat my weight in junk food. I am going to be putting siding on a house for a week, so I have decided I can eat wings galore!

So besides a Vespa, I am also taking donation for the house below:


It’s been for sale for ages. It used to be beautiful… until they slapped some brick on the front and ruined it. Anyways I am going to open a pub and name it the Willesden Green. Lunch and Dinner menu only, and very small British fare. Little tin dishes, tea time stuff (excuses to buy china?) Maybe a B&B? Just need a little over a half of a million dollars. Too bad that it is in WNY… where the tourist season is 9wks to coincide with Chautauqua’s season. And there is nothing around there.

Speaking of nothing around… I miss London. San Antonio just isn’t it… it’s not my permanent settling down spot. I miss the ballet. I could go for 10/15 pounds (yes it was in the nosebleed but still!) to the Royal Academy and watch a ballet. I used to wander into free museums on the way home from class to see renowned artists. Argh. I miss that. I miss art and expensive antiques… but at the same time I feel like it is such a frivolous industry. Spending millions on great pieces… of paint smeared on paper. Im still stuck on all that is wrong in the world lately… I think I am cut out to do more… something bigger than a PhD and studying art. We shall see though.

This week has been rough. I need a pause button… a pause to delay the inevitable. A rewind button to go back and soak in the good/fun times. A really really good friend is ill and the news this week just keeps getting worse and worse. Im so far away. So so far away. All helplessness and worrying. So... the girl who doesn’t deal with emotions is...well... running. It helps. Somewhat. A month or so ago, I complained about the greeting cards on the market. Well I have decided that I hate them. Hate them all. I just got so angry, standing in Walmart, looking at all of the stupid bright/cheery “Get Well” cards. I wanted to scream. They were all so stupid. They didn’t say anything remotely close to how I felt. I wanted one that said “This isn’t fair” and “I’m so angry” or “I have no idea what to say… but Im thinking about you.” Instead all of them said something along the lines of “you will be up and about in no time”, or “get well soon!” or all these stupid jokes or over the top sympathy with flowers. Honestly… I stood in the aisle and cried. So… obviously Im not coping that well with things. So I run….

When I was at home for the longest year and a half of my life… I was in charge of dinner at least once a week. I wasn’t too bad.. at least I didn’t kill anyone! Some recipes were way better than others, but that was half of the fun. Well…. I know I have been saying this for a year… but I am trying to not act like a college kid in terms of food. I am trying to actually cook and not just make pasta or… chicken nuggets. Last night I made Charred Lemon Chicken with Capers. This is what it was supposed to look like:

 


It didn’t look that good, but it tasted pretty good! It had wine and butter in the sauce. Can’t go wrong with that. Just missing the heavy cream! It wasn’t as good as the Chicken and Caper recipe, but it was pretty good. Leftovers for tonight.. maybe it will taste even better after the chicken has soaked in all of the sauce J

Random Tidbits:

1.       My hair is almost long enough to put up in my “im stressed” bun. Im very excited. My hair fits in a ponytail now too. #lifeisgood

2.       I wish life lessons were easier to learn, and less painful. I need to keep in better touch with people. Im reeling from the news of my friend. Wishing I had called more often… just didn’t always have time for the hour long calls. Hour long at least. We would pick up from where we left off. I should have made more time. I shouldn’t take having a person in my life for granted.

3.       I think Im going to buy a cheap violin. I want to learn how to play.

4.       I bought a new camera for San Fran and now need to make sure I keep using it. I want to take up photography again. Im not the best, but its something fun to do.

5.       I need to use my free time better. I need to be doing fun things that I enjoy, pursing things, and figuring out my next step. I am falling into a comfortable rut and I can’t stay in it

6.       I still want eyelashes for Lucy… and that Star Wars sunscreen. Lucy needs accessories :)

7.       I think it’s time for a new adventure….

Im still working on San Fran… stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment