Monday, June 30, 2014

Oh Buffalo...


I haven’t posted in awhile because I haven’t had any good stories… until this morning that is. Last Monday was a crap day, so in preparation of another potentially equally bad day I stopped at Starbucks for a coffee. I walked back out to my car, coffee in hand and singing in my head. I just put my hand on my car door handle when I heard a “Yo… YO!” What the… I look up and I HUGE black guy was sauntering towards me. Oh crap Im going to day (I say this because he was wearing a sleeveless cutout shirt, had tattoos everywhere , a solid 6+ feet tall with arms the size of my thigh and… I guess I did some racial profiling) Im just like “ummm hi..??” Below is the conversation... basically word for word. I sincerely hope that you all can tell what I said vs what he said so I don’t have to make a note of it… (disclaimer: sorry for the language)

“You from New York???””

“Yes…. But not the city” (again I was sterotyping)

“Where from then?”

“South of Buffalo… it’s a small town”

“Damn no way! Im from Buffalo! This is crazy!”

“Ohh… cool. Do you know of Jamestown?”

“SSSHHHIIITTT Sure do! My sister lives there! Right down by that community college. On E 2nd St. Do you know where that is??”

“Yup… sure do. *Insert awkward pause. Ummmm… there are some good wings down there on 2nd”  (I had nothing else nice to say)

“Yeah by that baseball place. Damn good wings. And pizza. This shit be crazy. Small world right?”

“yes it is. Well I better head to work. Nice meeting you”

“Oh yeah yeah. You too. Most def. Shit… that be crazy” (and he waved and sauntered on his way)


I got in my car and just laughed… why me. I really need to change my plates on Lucy. It was too early for a strange encounter. Way too early.

 
Some more observations about Texas from a Western New Yorker’s point of view:

1.       Nowhere in the state of Texas is there a bottle of Hermann J. Wiemer’s Riesling. Nor is there a bottle of Dr. Konstantin Frank’s wine. Seriously? These Texans need to drink Finger Lake wine.  The good stuff.

2.       Everyone has a garage and… they don’t use it. (when I say everyone I mean EVERYONE except for 1 sane person in this town) I guess they don’t have snow… but still. It is odd to me. Lucy didn’t get a garage when I was home and I hated not being able to pull inside. I know there isn’t any snow down here, but there is SUN. Even in WNY the sun would bake Lucy, and its worse down here. Im baffled.

3.       I have seen a million and a half pickup trucks.. and no one wearing a cowboy hat. I am sad.

4.       I have eaten more Mexican food in 3 months then I have in my ENTIRE life. Im really not kidding at all. So much Mexican food. I am still craving a Buffalo Chicken pizza from Pizza Hut. I want to eat the entire Large pizza. (while watching the Great Gatsby)

5.       The movie theaters here are cool. (this should perhaps be limited to San Antonio as I have not seen a movie theater outside of the city). They let you put on your own butter flavoring on your popcorn AND they let you have unlimited refills on your pop. The machines are out in the lobby inbetween the theaters. Pretty cool.

6.       Texans complain about the heat as much as we complain about the snow.

7.       Im used to standing inside at work in the middle of June with pants and a sweatshirt and asking a co-worker “do you think its warm outside?” Down here that is just a stupid question (which I asked last week.)

 
I cant even explain how excited I am for the USA game tomorrow. I want them to win SO badly. Im nervous though… they only time they lost is when I didn’t wear my jersey, and tomorrow I cant wear my jersey to work. Oh dear :( I don’t know how I am going to do work for an hour either. No idea.


OK Im to tired to continue this tonight and I have other things to do. So… im going to stop. I have no other stories either. Tomorrow is flag football (blah) and Wednesday is softball… so Ill write when I can.

 

I miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment